Frequently Asked Questions

Here are quick answers to some of your most common questions.

Who do I contact with questions about my account?
To answer any questions about utility bills, rates, where to make payments, connection or disconnection procedures or how to pay, please contact Utilities Customer Service at (954) 434-4300, ext. 241 or (954) 434-5519. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Who do I contact if there is an emergency?
The Utility Department has an emergency service, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have an emergency, call (954) 434-5519.

How do I pay my bill?
Payments can be made by mail, in person or online.

Pay by mail:
City of Cooper City
P.O. Box 290910
Cooper City, FL 33329-0910

Pay in person:
Drop off payments to the Finance Department at City Hall between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday and Friday from:
9090 SW 50th Place
Cooper City, FL 33328

For convenience, there is also a 24-hour drop box located at the entrance to City Hall. Payments left in the drop box will be posted to the utility account the following business day.

Pay Online:
Access account information and pay online by clicking on the following link: Once the billing website is accessed, enter the account number located on the utility bill. First time users will enter the word guest (lower case as the PIN number). Once successfully logged into the online payment system, it’s recommended to change the default PIN to a more discreet. If you cannot remember the PIN or need assistance, please contact (954) 434-4300, ext. 241. Payments can be made online at any time and will be processed the next business day.

How often are utility bills issued?
Utility bills are issued on a monthly basis, and the due date is clearly marked on each bill.

Is there a late fee if I don’t pay my bill on time?
Yes, if a payment cannot be made by the payment date noted on the utility bill, a late fee of 6% of the outstanding balance will be charged to the account.

Is there anything I can do if I’m not able to make my payment on time?
If a payment cannot be made by the payment date noted on the utility bill, payment arrangements can be made by calling customer service at (954) 434-4300, ext 241. Payment arrangements are granted on a case-by-case basis.

Are there fees associated with returned payments?
A fee of $20 or 5 percent (whichever is greater), will apply for any returned payments made to the City. Final notices are generated automatically, each month, for all accounts carrying a past due balance. Failure to pay a utility bill will result in disconnection of service and a reconnection fee.

What if I don’t receive a bill?
Everyone is mailed a bill. If a monthly utility bill is not received, you are still responsible. Contact Customer Service at (954) 434-4300, ext. 241.

Does the City estimate water bills?
Under certain circumstances, a meter read may be estimated. If a meter read is estimated, an “E” will be displayed on the utility bill next to the present read.

Can I have the same amount of consumption three months in a row on my utility bill?
Yes, monthly water usage is billed per 1,000 gallons.

Is there an additional cost when I consume large amounts of water, such as filling my swimming pool?
Yes, Cooper City Utilities operates under a tiered rate system. Customers who use less water are rewarded with lower rates. If a customer utilizes more water, the tier increases, as does the charge for water use.

Water usage is charged based upon the following parameters:

  • Block 1 (0-5,000 gallons) – $2.60 per thousand gallons
  • Block 2 (5,000-10,000 gallons) – $3.00 per thousand gallons
  • Block 3 (10,001-20,000) – $3.80 per thousand gallons
  • Above 20,000 gallons – $5.00 per thousand gallons

Sewer usage ischarged at$2.59 per one thousand gallons.There is a base sewer charge of $22.68 applied to each account before any consumption. Charges apply up to 10,000 gallons (for residential accounts only). Residential accounts exceeding 10,000 gallons will not incur additional charges for sewer.

How do I start my utility service?
To establish a new water and sewer account with the City, a minimum notification of 24 hours is required. A one-time account initiation fee of $25 is payable at time of connection. New account deposits are processed Monday through Friday until 4:00 p.m.

In addition to proper identification at the time of opening an account, all customers are required to provide the following:

  • Owners are required to provide proof of ownership and pay a $100 security deposit. Acceptable forms of proof of ownership include closing settlement papers or a warranty deed.
  • Renters are required to present assigned copy of a lease agreement and pay a $200 security deposit.
  • Commercial accounts are required to pay a security deposit on each bay. Security deposit amounts depend upon the size of the meter for the commercial account.

All deposits and initiation fees are payable at the Finance Department’s payment window located at City Hall, 9090 SW 50th Place, Cooper City, FL 33328.

For further information on connection procedures, please call the Finance Department at

(954) 434-4300 ext 241.

How do I stop my utility service?
Current customers may disconnect service by submitting a written request to the Finance Department. Acceptable forms of written requests include emails, faxes or written letters. Verbal requests cannot be considered, and only those named on the account may disconnect service.

  • Email written disconnection request
  • Fax written disconnection request to:(954) 434-5099
  • Mail written disconnection request to:P.O. Box 290910Cooper City, FL 33329

How do I get my water turned on if I am disconnected?
If service is disconnected due to lack of payment, the utility bill must be paid in full, along with a $25 connection fee.

What are the City’s responsibilities for waterline repairs?
The City manages the water distribution system up to and including the water meter. However, it is each homeowner’s responsibility to take care of the water lines from the meter to the house. Home sewer lines are also the responsibility of the homeowners. Cooper City staff members maintain sewer lines beyond the property line.

When is recycling picked up?
Waste Management picks up recyclables one day per week with one of the regularly scheduled sanitation pick-ups. Contact Waste Management at (954) 467-1710 with questions about the recyclable pick-up schedule.

Is residential bulk pickup available?
Residential bulk pickup is available monthly on scheduled collection days. Additional information about bulk pick-up and a map and brochure of bulk pick-up services can be found here.

Remove gasoline and oil from lawn care equipment before utilizing bulk pickup.

Where is my water meter located?
If you do not know where your meter is located, contact Cooper City Utilities at (954) 434-5519. Cooper City Utilities will show you where your meter is located.

How do I turn off my water if there is an emergency?

valveNever use your meter shut-off valve to turn off your water (the meter shut-off valve is the valve is in the meter box with your meter). If you find a leak inside your house, use your house valve to turn off your water. House valves are typically located on the side of your house where the main water piping comes out of the ground and goes into your house. The picture to the right demonstrates what a typical house valve looks like. The upper valve in the picture operates the hose spigot. The house valve is the lower valve. If turning off your house valve doesn’t work or you have trouble finding it and your water needs to be turned off, you can call the Utilities Department anytime at (954) 434-5519.